Swiss, Mushroom & Bacon Meatloaf
from The Mommy Rambles
12 oz. bacon, diced
4 medium white mushrooms, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1.5 lbs. ground beef
1/4 cup evaporated milk or half & half (I've used regular milk, too)
6 oz. shredded swiss cheese
1/2 cup corn flakes or saltines
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In large skillet, cook bacon until crisp, but not burned. Remove to paper towel to drain.
2. Remove all but a tsp. of the bacon fat from the skillet and saute the mushrooms & onions until
tender. Allow to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, mix the beef, egg, & milk.
Add the mushroom/onion mixture,
All but a few spoonfuls of the swiss cheese, and all but one Tbsp. of the bacon.
Add the crackers crumbs and mix until blended.
4. Shape into a loaf and place in a large loaf pan. Bake at 350 for about an
hour, or until cooked through.
5. Drain fat from the pan & sprinkle w/the reserved cheese & bacon on top.
6. Bake an additional 5 minutes. Allow to rest 10 mins. before serving.
Review: Yet another great twist on meatloaf!