Thursday, February 19, 2009
Sailsbury Steak and Oven Fries
• Salisbury Steak I know this recipe came off a blog as I was searching but I didn't write down the link, please let me know if it is yours!
1 lb Lean Ground Beef
1/3 Cup Bread Crumbs or Cracker Crumbs (I used bread crumbs)
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Pepper
Small Onion Sliced (I used half an onion) (Optional)
1 Can Condensed Beef Broth
1 – 4oz Can Sliced Mushrooms (Drained) (I left these out)
2 T. Cornstarch
1 - Packet Brown Gravy Mix or 1 - Jar/Can Brown Gravy ( I used the mix)
Mix First 5 ingredients together and shape into ovals about ¾ inches thick. Cook patties in a skillet turning once until brown. Add onion, mushroom, and beef broth heat to boiling. Reduce heat cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove patties to a casserole dish and keep warm. Heat mixture until boiling. Mix water and cornstarch together to make a paste. Add to boiling mixture with a wire whisk and whisk until gravy begins to thicken. The add 1 packet of brown or mushroom gravy that has been mixed with one cup of water and add to the beef broth gravy. Using the wire whisk again whisk the gravy until it is smooth and thickened. Then pour the gravy over the patties in the casserole dish and bake at 350 until bubbly or put patties in crock pot and cover with gravy and cook on low for 3 hours (I did it in the oven). Serve with rice, mashed potatoes or noodles
2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
• 1 tablespoon white sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with foil, and coat well with vegetable cooking spray. Scrub potatoes well and cut into 1/2 inch thick fries.
2. In a large mixing bowl, toss potatoes with oil, sugar, salt and red pepper. Spread on baking sheet in one layer.
3. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until potatoes are tender and browned. Serve immediately.
The Salisbury steak was extremely flavorful! The sauce was good as well. Overall great main dish. It was however a little more time consuming then first expected. The oven fries were not the right combination of flavors for us. We will not be making the fries this way again.