Impossible Cheeseburger Pie from $5 Dinners
3/4 lb ground beef ($1.10)
1/2 onion, finely chopped ($.15)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained ($.23)
1-1/2 cups milk or water ($.25) (I used 1/2 cup rice milk + 1 cup water)
3 eggs ($.33)
3/4 cup Bisquick or GF baking mix ($.75)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ($.75) (Omit if GFCFSF)
2-3 lb sweet potatoes ($1.11)
1. Chop onoins.
2. In skillet, brown ground beef with chopped onions. Drain.
3. Place meat in bottom of a greased pie plate. Add well drained canned tomatoes to the meat and mix through.
4. In medium bowl, whisk milk/water, eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Pour over the meat mixture.
5. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Remove and add shredded cheese on top. Bake another 5 minutes. Remove and let cool a few minutes before cutting and serving.
6. Slit sweet potatoes with knife or vent with fork. Bake sweet potatoes at 350 for 1 hour in baking dish with 1/4 inch water. Cover with foil. Remove and let cool about 10 minutes. Peel skins off of the potato and mash. Serve with cinnamon and butter if you like. We eat them “plain”.
7. Serve cheeseburger pie with a side of mashed or baked sweet potatoes.
Review: This tasted ok. It lacked a litte more flavor in my opinion. It also made a mess when i add the mix to the meat. It overflowed all over the counter. Came out good though, willing to try it again